Designed in collaboration with some of the world’s leading oboists, the XL oboe combines flexibility of tone with a large bore and wall thickness to give a full sound with classical projection. Handmade by our experienced craftsmen in our UK factory, the XL is finished to the highest standards.
The XL oboe is available in high density Grenadilla wood (dalbergia melanoxylon) or Cocobolo wood (dalbergia retusa) with either silver plated or gold plated keywork options.
In addition to the standard model XL, we are now able to offer the XL with a partially lined top joint or a fully synthetic top joint. Please contact us for availability and pricing.
- Grenadilla wood (dalbergia melanoxylon)
- Silver plated keywork
- Full Conservatoire system keywork with a thumbplate (English system)
- Semi-automatic octaves (English system)
- 3rd octave key
- C to D trill keys x 2 (lower and upper)
- C to C# trill key
- Forked F vent
- Low B to C link
- Ab to Bb and Ab to A trill keys
- Low C to C# trill key (“Banana key”)
- Eb to E trill key
- Articulated C# mechanism
- Metal lined tenon sockets and sleeved tenons
- Undercut tone holes
- Low Bb vent
- All necessary adjusting screws
- Adjustable thumb rest
- Weight of instrument in Grenadilla ~745g
- Instrument is supplied in a Howarth Professional lined solid wood case and a Howarth Professional case cover
Gold plated keywork is available as a bespoke finish to special order. Please enquire for further details and costs.